Salient Features of Direct Mail Advertising
(i) The advertisement messages are prepared in writing.
(ii) These messages are addressed directly to some selected persons.
(ii) The messages may be different for different persons.
(iv) It is flexible as the message can be changed whenever required.
(v) The number of customers are limited.
(vi) It creates and maintains personal contacts though postal mail.
Forms of Direct Mail Advertising
Various forms of direct mail advertising are as under:
1. Circular. Circular which contains same subject matter is prepared in large number and contains same subject matter. It is simultaneously,
despatched to a large number of persons. A Circular may relate to th information of arrival of new goods, information of any special prize scheme, information of new prices, information of any change in the policies etc.
2. Business Reply Card. Under this form of direct mail advertising two cards of the size of postcard are used. One card is used by the advertiser to inform the persons about the product. Another card is meant for the customers to place the orders. Mail advantage of business reply card is that it encourages the customers to reply immediately because they have not to pay anything which doing so.
3. Price List. Some businessmen keep their customers informed about the changes in the prices of products from time-to-time. They prepare the list of latest prices of their goods and send them to their customers through post.
4. Catalogue. This is widely used by publishers. It contains the details of all the books being published by them. Catalogues are sent to the teachers, professors, booksellers and libraries etc., so that they come to know about the books of these publishers.
5. Booklets. It is mini book of small size. It contains complete details of a particular product or some selected product being produced by a producer. It also contains the picture and diagrams specifying the product. It is sent to some selected customers by the producer.
6. Novelty Gifts. Some Gifts items, such as–Diary, Calender, Wall Cloak, Watch, Utensils etc. are sent by the businessmen or producers to their selected customers. These items remind these customers of the producer and his products.
7. Personal Letters. Sometimes, businessmen post personal letters to their customers. These letters are written in the same manner as personnel letters between friends or relative or family members. These letters may contain some details about the products on terms and conditions of sale or some business problems between businessmen and customers.
8. Others. Some companies bring out their own magazines at some regular interval. Such magazines are brought out only by big companies. These magazines contain complete details about the company and its products.
(IV) Other Media of Advertising
Some other forms of advertising may be explained as under:
1. Fairs and Exhibitions. India is a country in which various fairs and exhibitions are organised in different parts at different times. Since these fairs and exhibitions are visited by a large number of persons, businessmen and manufacturers get opportunity of advertising their goods.
2. Cinema. Cinema is considered as one of the cheapest and most popular medium of entertainment these days. Advertisers get their cinema slides prepared and these slides are played in the beginning and during interval.
3. Radio Advertising, Today, radio has emerged as one of our major advertising media. It provides a very large coverage of audience in urban and rural area. Today, it is extremely popular with both trade and industry as the demand exceeds the time. Radio advertising may be described as a words of mouth advertising on a wide scale. The advertiser delivers the message orally and not visually. It makes appeal to the ear not to the eye with the effect that the message is conveyed to the masses whether literate or illiterate.
4. Television Advertising. It is said that today television advertising is the best selling media is ever invented. It has a potential advertising impact unmatched by any other media. It is a means of bringing actual demonstration in the homes of the prospects and is therefore more effective media when compared with radio.
5. Loud-speakers. Under this from of advertising, a Rickshaw or a Tonga or a Car etc. is used. A loud-speaker is placed on it, and the meseage is announced in different localities of the city.
6. Sky Writing. Under this method of advertising, some words are written in the sky with the help of a special gas by aeropiane. These words play in the sky for some seconds. This method is not popular in our country.
7. Free Samples. Under this method, some sample packings are prepared and distributed among consumers. These samples provide an opportunity to the consumers to use these samples and then adopt these products.
8. Competition. Some producer announces a competition. In it, consumers are required to reply some questions and to give a slogan about the produut. They are also required to send some wrappers or cartoons or casa-memao that may prove that they have purchased the product. It incn ases the sales of the product.
9. Other Maans. Other means of advertising may be—Sale at Reduced Prices, Trade Discount, Free Gift with a purchase of Certain value of Certain quantity, Window Display etc.