BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health: In this post, we will learn about BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health? In Bed 2nd Year there is one of the most important questions comes from Growing up as a Learner. BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health? Teaching is a social and professional activity. It is a process of development. Teaching is a system of actions that induce learning through interpersonal relationships. and all the rest you will study in this Blog.
Related Posts to see:-
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Gifted Children
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Slow Learner
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Development
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Emotional Development of Adolescence
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by social and moral development of human being
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Adolescence
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Individual Differences
BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Backward Children
BEd 2nd Year What do you understand by Learning
BEd 2nd Year Describe Throndike’s Connectionism theory of learning
BEd 2nd Year Describe Pavlov’s classical conditions theory of learning
BEd 2nd Year Describe Skinner’s operant conditioning theory of learning
BEd 2nd Year Describe factors belonging to the Learner
BEd 2nd Year What do you understand by Levin’s Cognitive Field theory
View all Bed Notes ➜ <Click here>
Meaning and Definition and Mental Health
By mental health of a man is meant his mental condition. As physical health of a man is meant by the proper maintenance and functioning of all his external and internal body organs, in the same way, his mental health is meant by the proper maintenance and functioning of his mind. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
In this context, it is mentionable that physiologists can observe the internal and external body organs, including the structure of the brain, with the help of appliances and can ascertain any type of defects in them.
However, psychologists have not been able to observe and understand the mind and its activity directly, as yet. They look for any defect occurring in the mind from the changes that occur in the normal behavior of an individual, and from this view, they consider an individual mentally healthy who behaves properly in a balanced manner under all circumstances.
Headfield has defined mental health in this form.
In his words:
In general, we may say that mental health is the full harmonious functioning of the whole personality. -Headfield
We are aware that every man has his natural and social environment in which he has to live. According to psychologists the man who is able to adapt himself according to his natural and social environment is mentally healthy. Psychologists use the term ‘adjustment for the adaptation of an individual according to his natural and social environment.
Most psychologists have defined mental health in this form in the words of Ladell:
Mental health means the ability to make adequate adjustments to the environment on the plane of reality. -Ladell
Now the question arises, which individuals possess this ability? Psychologists reply that individuals can maintain balance in their sentiments, desires, aspirations, and ideals. Kuppuswami has defined mental health on this basis.
In his words:
Mental health means the ability to balance feelings, desires, ambitions, and ideals in one’s daily life. It means the ability to face and accept the reality of life. -Kuppuswami
We come across another question in this context and that is if the men would have been adjusting to their environment only then how could they make this progress? The reality is that a man possesses the ability to adapt himself according to the environment as well as adapt his environment according to himself, and these two functions can be performed by a man who possesses good mental health. So, we should define mental health in the following form:
Mental health is meant the ability of man to limit his feelings, desires, aspirations, and ideals on the real surface, to adjust himself according to his environment, and to adjust his environment according to himself.
Mental Health and Physical Health
Man is a psychophysical organism, his mental health and physical health depend on each other. We have experienced that any defect in any body organs creates a storm in the mind, we become restless and some change occurs in our behavior. This is also our experience that restlessness in our mind influences body activities.
According to physiologists, this effect is due to the change in the functioning of the nervous system and ductless glands, the change that occurs basically due to the restlessness of the mind. We all have experienced that defects in the body also give rise to defects in the mind and defects in the mind give rise to defects in the body.
The persons who are happy with their minds possess physical health and the persons who are physically healthy also live mentally healthy. It is evident physical and mental health depend on each other, they have a positive correlation.
Mental Health and Adjustment
The mental health of a man and his ability to adjust also depend on each other. A man who is mentally healthy accepts the reality of his environment and adapts himself accordingly to it. Besides, he becomes self-confident, controls his environment when needed, and thus makes progress. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
On the other hand, a man who adapts himself to his environment, that is, adjusts to it, remains mentally balanced in the same measure, and lives a happy life. The truth remains that mental health and adjustment are like two sides of the same coin. Psychologists look at mental health in the form of the ability of good adjust.
Characteristics of Mentally Healthy Persons
Alport and Whittaker and some other psychologists studied mentally healthy persons and marked their characteristics. We can arrange those characteristics under the following points:
- Good Physical Health: It has been observed that persons with good mental health also possess good physical health, these two factors depend on each other, and they have a positive correlation.
- Good Emotional Condition: It has also been observed that persons with good mental health are free from negative emotions, such as fear, anxiety, and anger. They are self-confident and take themselves as secure. Not only that they secure their emotions and manifest only socially approved emotions. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
- Self-Knowledge: A mentally healthy person understands his physical and mental health and ability clearly. He also understands his circumstances clearly so he determines his life goals according to them and aspires accordingly. Not only this, he also recognizes his qualities and disqualifies and is ever ready to form himself at all times.
- Social and Humorous: A mentally healthy person is social, he takes part in social activities enthusiastically, and maintains good relations with others. He has a keen sense of humor and lives happily always.
- Decisiveness: A mentally healthy person is not confounded by indecision, he has the ability to take independent decisions.
- Clear Aim of Life: A mentally healthy person has clear life philosophy and is inclined toward reality and lives in a real life. His thinking has openness, he accepts any good thing. Such a person is often creative.
- Regular Life: A mentally healthy person has clear life philosophy and clear life goals, so he lives a regular life accordingly.
- Self-Satisfaction: A mentally healthy person is satisfied with his ability, and capability and lives a happy life.
- Good Adjustment: By a mentally healthy person is meant the one who adjusts to himself and society well. He determines his ability and capability, and determines his needs and ambitions according to his circumstance; he maintains coordinated balance in them and determines his behavior according to the ideals of society.
Factors Affecting Mental Health of the Children
Basically, there are two bases of physical and mental development of a man-heredity and environment. Some factors are hereditary and environmental, both. We can understand them in the form of other factors. Here we shall discuss the factors which affect the mental health of children. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
It has been often observed that the offspring of healthy parents are healthy, and the offspring of unhealthy parents are unhealthy. It is mainly due to genes. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
Healthy men and women abound in genes related to good health, so there is a mere possibility of their joining together at the time of copulation, as a result of which healthy children take birth.
On the contrary, unhealthy men and women lack genes of good health, there is more possibility of joining genes lacking good health, so unhealthy children are born. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
The structure of the brain also depends on heredity to a large extent. Some children are sharp from birth itself and some are dull. It has also been observed that children adjust well when they are physically healthy and possess the proper mental capability. On the contrary, mental health cannot be developed in the case of deficient physical and mental capability. It is evident that heredity is a basic factor influencing the mental health of children. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
The environment is a wide concept, it includes natural and social environments, and the social environments are included the environment in the family, neighborhood, society, and schools, all these.
- Family Environment: Mental health and adjustment capability of children are affected by the family environment the most. The families in which members live in harmony, respect, and cooperate with each other, those families face little mental stress and it has a direct bearing on the mental health of the children, they also live a tension-free life.
On the contrary, the families in which members do not have a love for each other, have enmity with each other, and it is marred by an envious environment lacking peace, the members of such a family face mental stress including the parents of the children, and consequently, the children also develop such despots as mental stress and anger, etc.
Psychological studies reveal that children whose parents set higher targets than their ability and capability expect more achievement from them and if the children fail to achieve those aspirations, they inculcate frustration which has an ill effect on their mental health.
More than necessary parental love and neglectful behavior also have an adverse impact on the mental health of the children. Affectionate, sympathetic, and cooperative behavior of the parents towards their children helps in the development of their mental health and their harsh or neglecting behavior is an obstacle to it.
- Neighborhood Environment: The extent of the desires and aspirations of children is often affected by the neighborhood. The other children or objects in neighborhood families that a child sees, it is natural for him to desire for them. In the same way, the achievements of his companions and friends, and family members determine the type and extent of his ambitions.
The children become happy when these de ire are fulfilled and they grieve when they are not fulfilled, and they become inflicted with mental defects such as mental stress and anger, etc. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
Thus, achievable ambitions of the children help in the development of their mental health, while unachievable aspirations are an obstacle to their mental health. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
- School Environment: As the children grow, they cross over to the school. The school environment has a direct effect on their mental health. If the school is located away from the hustle and bustle of the town, with proper arrangement of air and light and equipped with resources, then such an environment has a favorable effect on their mental health, else the otherwise is the consequence. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
One of the functions of the school is to affect the physical, mental, emotional, and social development of the children. For it, it should refine the traits developed in the family and neighborhood in order to develop them according to the social norms.
If teachers do their task devotedly and treat children with love, sympathy, and cooperation, then they succeed in their objective, else they fail. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
Another function of teachers is to complete the school curriculum and assist the children in their all-around development.
If the school curriculum is useful for children, if teachers complete it using interesting and effective teaching methods and render individual assistance to the children in this task, then it has a positive effect on the mind and brain of the children, else this environment creates mental stress in the children and they are inflicted by mental illnesses.
It has also been seen that school children are often terrified of examinations, and those who fail in them repeatedly become inflicted of mental illness and maladjustment. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
- Social Environment: The society in which children live, and its form has a direct effect on their mental health. We are aware that the physical needs of persons in materialistic societies are many, the persons who fail to meet these needs, often become inflicted by mental illnesses. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
It has also been observed that the societies in which there is a great difference in the castes, religions, economic status, etc., and the people are divided into the high and the low classes, the children of the low status are often inflicted by mental stress and sometimes suffer from mental illnesses. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)
The political system of the society also has an effect on the mental health of the children. An autocratic political system does not give freedom of expression, so a situation of tension prevails at all times. On the contrary, in a democracy, the children have freedom of expression so their unconscious mind is free from any burden and they lead a mentally healthy life.
The important other factors are-physical heath, physical handicap, and psychological condition.
- Physical Health: Some children are born healthy and if proper care is taken, they live a healthy life and adjust well. On the contrary, children born unhealthy due to any reason of heredity or environment do not possess good mental health.
- Physical Handicap: The children who become physically handicapped as a result of prolonged illness or accident, suffer from an inferiority complex and if they are unable to make up for this deficiency by any other trait, then this inferiority complex increases day by day and we say that he is suffering from mental illness.
- Psychological Deficiency: Some children are born with some defect in the brain and some of them suffer from it due to circumstances. We have experienced that the children who are terrified by their parents towards an object, person, or activity, continue to be terrified of those all their life, they become terrified even on its recall.
Sometimes this terror hinders their adjustment to such situations. This is the situation that is called mental illness
Children who suffer from such mental defects as frustration, tension, anxiety, mental conflicts, complexes, etc., live a mentally unhealthy life. (BEd 2nd Year What do you mean by Mental Health)