Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness
Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness: In this post, we will learn about Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness? In Bed 2nd Year there is one of the most important questions comes from Environment Education. You will learn about Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness? Teaching is a social and professional activity. It is a process of development. Teaching is a system of actions that induce learning through interpersonal relationships. and all the rest you will study in this Blog.
Related Posts to see:-
Bed 2nd Year Education and Knowledge Study Notes
Bed 2nd Year What do you understand by Biodiversity
Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Threats to Biodiversity
Bed 2nd Year What do you understand by Environmental Pollution
Bed 2nd Year What do you understand about the Water and Land Pollution
Bed 2nd Year What are the main Pollution of the Environment
Bed 2nd Year What do you understand by Ozone Layer
Bed 2nd Year What do you understand by the Green House Effect
Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Acid Rain
Bed 2nd Year What do you understand by Environmental Awareness
View all Bed Notes ➜ <Click here>
Salient Features of Environmental Awareness
The review of the definitions of Environmental Awareness indicates the following salient features:
(i) It is a process of recognizing the interrelatedness among man, his physical cultural, and biological surroundings.
(ii) It appears to be a process that equips human beings with awareness, skills, attitudes, values, and commitments to improve the environment. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
(iii) It refers to the knowledge and understanding of the physical, biological, cultural, and psychological environment and to perceive its relevance to a real-life situation.
(iv) It identifies the imbalances of the environment and tries to improve it in view of substance development.
(v) It entails practice in decision-making and self formulations of a code of behaviour about problems and issues concerning environmental quality. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
(vi) It develops skills, attitudes, feelings, and values needed to play and productive role in improving life and values.
(vii) It involves a child’s investigation and systematic exploration of his own natural and social environment and prepares him to solve problems for improving his life.
(viii) It is problem-centered, interdisciplinary, value and community-oriented, and concerned with man’s survival and development. It concerns the present and the future.
(ix) It provides the basis for construction and creative skills for the practice of healthy living and improvement.
(x) It involves both theoretical and practical aspects of the environment to improve the imbalances and prevent deterioration or pollution. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
(xi) It utilizes educational approaches, methods, and techniques of teaching to identify the real causes of environmental problems and practice problem-solving skills in formal and non-formal situations.
Stage-wise Course Content of Environmental Awareness
The course content of environmental awareness has been classified stage-wise. This classification of content has been made in the following five stages:
(1) Primary education stage·
(2) Lower secondary stage.
(3) Higher secondary stage.
(4) College stage, and
(5) University education stage.
A brief outline of the content has been provided in the following paragraphs:
- Primary Education Stage. Here the emphasis should be mostly (75%) on building up awareness, followed by real-life situations (20%) and conservation (5%). Thus attempt should be to only sensitize the child about the environment. The content to be used are surroundings from home to school to outdoor situations. The teaching strategy includes audio-visual and field visits.
- Lower Secondary Education Stage. From the lower secondary stage onwards, the quantum of awareness must decrease and there should be increased knowledge of real-life situations, conservation, and sustainable development. At the lower secondary level, the objective must be real-life experience, awareness, and problem identification. The contents to be used are those used at the primary school level supplemented with general science. Teaching, practical, and field visits are to be done.
- Higher Secondary Education Stage. Here the emphasis must be on conservation, assimilation of knowledge, problem identification, and action skills. The contents used may be science-based and action-oriented work. There should be proper teaching, practical, and fieldwork. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
Many developing countries like India face problems of lack of resources materials, funds, and trained instructors and teachers at the secondary school stage. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
- College Education Stage. At this level, the picture would be almost reverse of the primary levels, as maximum emphasis would be here on knowledge regarding sustainable development based on experience with conservation followed, in descending order, by conservation, real-life situation, and awareness. The content must be college/university based on Science and Technology. Teaching, practical and action-oriented fieldwork to be done.
In school education, NCERT has been playing a vital role in designing syllabi, textbooks, help books, guide books, charts, kits, teaching materials, and aids both for students and teachers. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
- University Education Stage. Environmental education at this level is being looked after by the University Grants Commission. There is a high-powered Committee to suggest areas of EE at the postgraduate level. There are about 10 universities teaching courses in environmental areas. Besides these, there are also research institutions and professional institutions such as the Indian Institute of Technology, Engineering Colleges, and Schools of Planning and Architecture, which offer courses in environmental engineering. University education has three major components–teaching, research, and extension. At the postgraduate level, four major areas are recognized. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
(i) Environmental Engineering. It includes the subjects like architecture, civil engineering, town and country planning, including human settlement, slum improvement, landscape architecture, industrial design, regional science, and urban ecosystem studies.
(ii) Conservation and Management. It includes fields of life land use; forestry, agriculture, energy, waste management, wildlife management, national parks, biosphere reserves, biological diversity, water management, mining management, non-polluting renewable energy development, etc. (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
(iii) Environmental Health. This deals with public health and hygiene, chemical engineering, occupational health,
(iv) Social Ecology. It includes subjects like human ecology, sociology, social planning, cost-benefit, community organization and services, psychology and counselling, environmental ethics, and related areas of humanities. There are some institution centers assisted by the Department of Environment, which provide formal education/training in environmental areas. For instance, the Centre of Environment Education (CEE), Mahatma Gandhi National Forest Academy. Dehradun.
The main objectives of E.E. in our country are as follows:
(i) To improve the quality of the environment.
(ii) To develop awareness among students of environmental problems and conservation.
(iii) To create an atmosphere in the school and classroom so that students can participate in problem-solving and decision-making plans and procedures, and
(iv) To develop the capabilities of evaluating the effectiveness and workability of developmental programmers.
Newman (1981) proposed a fourfold classification of environmental education programmes based on different disciplines:
- Environmental Studies. This is concerned with the environmental disturbance and intimation of their impacts through changes in society (Social Sciences). (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
- Environmental Science. It deals with the study of the processes in water, air, soil, and organism which lead to pollution or environmental damage and to know a scientific clean, safe, and healthy for humans and the natural ecosystem (Physical and Natural Science). (Bed 2nd Year What do you mean by Salient Features of Environmental Awareness)
- Environmental Engineering. This is the study of the technical processes which are used to minimize pollution and the assessment of the impact on the environment (Engineering Sciences).
- Teacher Education Programmes. It develops the awareness, skills, attitudes, and values about the environment or surroundings plans and practices some activities to solve the problem to improve the quality of the environment. The area of teacher education is different from social science because they are limited to awareness only.