MEANS OR MEDIA OF ADVERTISEMENT
Media of advertisement means any object or any device which is used to communicate the message, either written or oral, to the potential consumers. For the convenience of study, means of advertisement may broadly be divided into four parts-(I) Press Advertising; (II) Outdoor or Mural Advertising: (III) Advertisement by Mail; (IV) Other Media. Brief discussion in this regard is as follows:
(I) Press Advertising
Press in considered to be the most popular media of advertisement these days. It is also considered to be the cheapest and the best woedia becnuse of its wide circulation. Press advertising may be divided in ivro forms: Newspapers and Magazines. Newspapers and magazines have become an essential part of our day-to-day life. The details regarding Press advertising are as follows:
1. Newspaper Advertisement. All the advertisements made through newspapers, are called Newspaper Advertisements. A newspaper may be of national local level, in English or in any other language. Newspaper advertisements may be of four types
(i) Classified Advertisement. These advertisements are. published in quite brief. These carry only messages and that too in precised form. These advertisements do not stress upon attraction. There is a certain space in every newspaper for these advertisements. Main examples of such advertisement are the advertisement for Matrimonial. To let. For Sales, Situations Wanted, Educational, Tender Notices, Auction ete.
(ii) Non-classified Advertisement. These advertisement are published in detail and in attractive manner. These advertisements give full information about products and producers. Such advertisements are generally published on fall or half or quarter or a certain part of a page of the newspaper. There is no certain place in the newspapers for such advertisements.
(iii) Teaser Advertisements. This is a new form of advertisement Under this form, a number of advertisements are published ia a newspaper in series at regular intervals. These advertisements
do not carry any sales message. Such advertisements keep the readers engaged till the last advertisement appears.
(iv) News Type Advertisements. These advertisements are published in the form of news. The words “It is an Advertisement are added at the end of message, so that the purpose of advertisement may be expressed Speeches of Chairman of Companies are published in this form.
2. Magazines or Journals Advertisement. When an advertisement is published in a magazine or a journal it is called magazine or journal Advertisement. Magazines of journals may be of three types:
(i) General Magazines. These magazines are meant for everyone. These magazines cover almost every field of life, such asIllustrated weekly of India, Sunday, Blitz, Sarita, Dharamyug,
(ii) Specialised Magazines. These magazines are meant for a specific group of consumers, such as-Commerce and Capital for businessmen : Famina for women, Chandamama, Champak, Nandan for Children; Chartered Accountant for the student of C.A., Management Accountant for the Students of I.C.W.A.; Competition Master, Competition Success Review for the students preparing for competitions etc.
(iii) Special Issues. Some Magazines are the special issues, Such as-directories, annual number etc.
(ii) Outdoor or Mural Advertising
Outdoor advertisements are the advertisements which attract the customers when they are out of their home. These advertisements are displayed on roads or otherwise. This is the oldest form of advertising but it is equally common even these days. This is used very widely and very often. Actually, this form of advertising is complement to press advertisement. It is adopted with the object to remind the consumers of the product again and again and at all the times and places. This method is very useful for the products which need a wide appeal. Various forms of outdoor advertisement may be as follow :
1. Posters. ‘Posters’ means the papers or card boards which are pasted on walls. These posters are prepared in very attractive manner and are pasted on the walls of common place.
2. Advertising Boards. Advertising Boards are the boards, generally made of tin, of big size, painted in beautiful colours and pictures carrying the advertising message in bref. These boards are placed on Main Crossings, Bus stand, Railway Stati me Cinema Halls, Educational Institutions etc. These boards c’tract the attention on maximum number of persona passing from those places.
3. Electric Display. This is the latest and most attractive form of outdoor advertising. Under this form, the name, design etc. of the product is written in bright colours and is lighted. These displays attract the attention of persons particularly in the night.
4. Advertisement through the Means of Transport. Advertisements on the neans of transportation is becoming more and more popular day-by-day. Under this method, back side or sides of buses, truck, matadors etc. are painted or advertisement boards are fixed. Advertisement may be made inside also. This method has proved very successful.
5. Sandwich Board. Under this method of advertisement, some persons are hired. These persons are decorated in the manner that they may advertise for the product wherever they go. Then these persons are moved from one place to another in a procession. They play musical instruments also and attract the attention of public.
6. Counter and Window Display. This is a very common form of outdoor advertising. Under this form, counters and windows are decorated in the manner that the attention of general public may be drawn. These counters and windows are fixed at some important places also, such as-Cinema Hall, Bus stand and Railway Stations etc.
(III) Direct Mail Advertising
Direct mail advertising means the form or advertising in which the advertiser sends personal message in writing through post to some selected persons. As this method approaches persons directly it is also called ‘Direct Advertising’. This is also called Advertising through Letter Box.’J.W.W. Cassels defined Direct Mail Advertising as, “Direct Mail Advertising is using the letter box to tell the right people about right goods at right time in the right way.”
According to Roger Barton, “Direct mail advertising is the use of the mail to reach preselected individuals with an advertising or sale! message.