Q.9. Write short note on acceptance letter of a job offer.(2007-08)
Q.9. Write short note on acceptance letter of a job offer.(2007-08)
Ans.Acceptance Letter of a Job Offer As we have discussed on the phone, I am very pleased to accept the position of marketing manager with Smithfield pottery. Thank you for the opportunity. I am eager to make a positive contribution to the company and to work with everyone on the Smithfield team. As we discussed, my starting salary will be 35.000 and health and life insurance benefits will be provided after 60 days of employment.
I look forward to starting employment on July 1, 2016. If there is any additional information or paperwork you need to then, please let me know. Again, thank you.
Q.10. Write a business letter giving justification and rational for why any Industrial order should be awarded to your organisation as a competitor. (2008-09)
Ans. Business Letter
Mr. Shaheed Ansari,
Jim’s Toys Inc.
1234, Fairday Drive,
Houston, Texas 98765,
I want you to know how impressed I was attending the sea for my marketing director. The instructor is first cla about our maketing efforts. I also appreciate the rac and gave several suggestions. Those suggestions alone will save in Please convey my thanks to Stewart.
Q.11. Draft a letter for promotional letter-bank.
Mr. Rajat Gupta
14, Salt Lake City,
Dear Rajat Gupta,
We would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for choosing our bank to handle your account. We know a great amount of care goes into choosing a banker and your decision re-affirms our belief in the old fashioned ways of banking. We believe our depositors enjoy the personal contact they receive at each one of our branches.
Be assured that the personal banking concept enjoys our greatest A business commitment. We employ the latest technology in computers, letter is supposed to have a however, we will never abandon our personal commitment to you, layout that impresses. the customer, our greatest asset. We hope you will investigate our
trust services and feel free to use any of the many services we have designed to make your banking experience as enjoyable and comprehensive as possible.
Enclosed in our latest financial statement for your review, along with a descriptive brochure of the many services available to you.
If we may be of any help in the future, please feel free to call upon this office.
Yours very truely,
Q.12. Writing memo is generally used for internal communication. Explain
Ans. A memorandum is a short piece of writing generally used by the officers of an organisation for communicating among them. That is why, it is also called interoffice memorandum A memorandum is by definition, a written statement that you prepare specially for a person of committee in order to give them information about a particular matter .it has been derived from the latin word “Memorare’, changed to memorandus and means literally to mention or tell.
A memo is used for internal communication between executives and sub-ordinates or between officers of the same level. It is never sent outside the organization.
A memo can be used for following purposes:
1. To issue instructions to the staff.
2. To communicate policy changes to the staff.
3. To give/seek suggestions.
4. To request help or information.
5. To confirm a decision arrived at on the telephone.
6. To intimate granding/withholding permission to do something.
7. To seek explanation on some matter of conduct, etc.
However, a memo may not be found appropriate if the matter is of a complex or serious nature involving lengthy discussion. A memo can be filled for future reference.
Q.13. Give the proper format for memo.
Ans. Format for Memo: The memo format is different from that of a letter. Since, a memo moves from one department to another or from one employee to another, it is essential to write the name of the person seending the memo and the name of the recipient and designation or department of both the persons. It must also have reference numbers.
The word ‘From’ and “To’ are invariably used in a memo. There is no salutation and the writer’s signature is put for writing the subscription on complimentary Cose.
The memo is properly dated which is written in a direct style and is as brief as possible.
The tone of a memo need not be very formal. Nor it should be so informal that it looses all seriousness. The three factors to be kept in mind while considering the tone are:
1. Who is going to read the memo?
2. The subject-matter of the memo.
3. The company house style.
A memo is not very different from a letter, only in a memo being used within the organisation, the formal aspect of the letters are dispensed with. But in these messages, courtesy should be observe as far as possible.
If only one point is dealt within a memo, it is used to put them in separate paragraphs and it is required to number the paragraphs. This practice ensures that the addressee respond to all the points made in a memo. However, dealing with a single point facilitates filling for future reference.
The actual memo format may vary from company to company. But most of them contain at least four headings:
1. To 2. Date 3. Subject 4. From.
Q.14. What are the most important factors to be considered for writing a good memo? (2008-09)
Ans. Memo plays an important role in the decision-making process in an organisation by facilitating the flow of information within its various parts and units. Good memo share certain characteristics, which include the following:
1. Clarity: Clarity is the first characteristic of a good memo. A memo must be clearly written, unclear and vague memo will confuse the reader leading to delay and inaction.
In order to maintain clarity in memos, the following points must be remembered:
(a) Clear references should be used.
(b) Simple familiar and specific words and expressions should be used.
(c) Cliches and over used proverbs and phrases should be avoided.
(d) Short sentences and paragraphs should be used. Ideas should be separated into paragranhs
(e) Appropriate linkers and transitional signals should be used.
2. Conciseness: Concise and direct memos are more effective. A memo should contain only essential information. Unnecessary explanations, repetitions, wordy expressions and exaggeration must be avoided in order to ensure that the memo makes its point with the fewest words possible.
3. Unity of Theme: A memo which does not have unity of theme, distracts the reader and ceases to be purposeful. An important way of ensuring unity in a memo is to make sure that it deals with only one topic. A single topic is developed and related ideas are sub-ordinated. Focusing on a single topic helps the writer unfold the theme logically..
4. Informal Tone: Although a memo is a formal business document, its tone is usually informal and conversational. As the writer is likely to be familiar with the reader, personal tone may be used in memos. A very formal tone might sound intimidating.